Seasonal Affective Disorder Can Affect Employees & Productivity
Posted on 10 November 2017
In any business, a happy workforce is a productive workforce. As such, Seasonal Affective Disorder in the workplace can be the source of low worker morale and low productivity. Also known as SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder in the workplace is prevalent as winter approaches – people are affected by shorter days, colder weather, and above all, the lack of sunshine. In the fall and winter, Seasonal Affective Disorder in the workplace may affect workers in various ways.
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder in the Workplace may include:
- Difficulty waking up in morning
- Lethargy and lack of enthusiasm
- Uncharacteristic body weight gain
- Lower concentration and attention
- On organized office reduces stress and improves mood
Tons of paperwork, over-full garbage cans, and a chaotic workspace are not signs of productivity. It’s stressful for employees and impacts morale. On the other hand, a clean, organized office is a productive atmosphere with less stress and more motivation.
- Beyond disorder, an unclean office allows for germs to propagate on desks, keyboards, and chairs. Without regular cleaning the potential for sickness is increased.
- A messy work area is a recipe for stress – it’s a difficult atmosphere to work in. Having the office space and workstations regularly cleaned is inspiring to every worker.
- Statistics show that a well-maintained office environment is better for employees productivity. It’s a work atmosphere that promotes personal pride and satisfaction.
Proper lighting can improve employee productivity
It’s not uncommon for employees to complain about office lighting, especially during the winter months when there is far less natural sunlight outside. Proper office lighting can actually have a positive effect on Seasonal Affective Disorder in the workplace - it can improve worker mood and therefore improve workflow. With poor office lighting, it’s not uncommon for employees to be stressed, complain of eyestrain, and even experience other health related symptoms.
Poor office environment affects worker productivity
Whether an office space is in disorder, unclean, or simply out of control, worker productivity is going to be affected. Beyond the day-to-day stress and unease, the symptoms of SAD have a direct negative affect on employee workflow and productivity. Seasonal Affective Disorder in the workplace has a way of affecting everything from personal relationships to employee/employer relations. As it is, every individual will differ with specific symptoms and reactions.
A clean, well-maintained office space makes for fewer sick days
A clean, well-maintained office space makes for a positive working environment. Employees are more productive, there are fewer sick days, and worker morale is at a higher level. The fact is, most people spend a majority of time at work, so it’s important that the work environment be clean, sanitary, and well maintained. This is where a professional services company is valuable.
Statistics show that having a clean workplace is critical to maintaining worker productivity. With a company like We Clean It, outsourcing the office cleaning has benefits for both employees and managers. Day in, day out, the clean working environment will ensure an atmosphere that boosts morale and productivity. And the professionals at We Clean It can do it all - from top to bottom.